Jamaican Sunday Recipe – Oxtail Brown Stew – Instructions+Video
1 to 2 lbs Ox-tail
½ lb Broad Beans (or pre-cooked canned butter beans or broad beans)
1 stack of Scallion (diced)
2 medium Onions (diced)
1 Cho-Cho (peeled & diced) – optional
1 small Carrot (diced)
½ Sweet Pepper (diced)
1 small Tomato (diced)
8 Garlic Cloves
½ green Pepper (Scotch Bonnet or real Chili Pepper) – optional.
1 ripe Pepper (Scotch Bonnet or real Chili Pepper)
Ginger – (cut to size of your thumb)
4 Whole Cloves
1½ tablespoon of Sea Salt
1 tablespoon of Parsley (dried or fresh)
1 tablespoon of Basil (dried or fresh)
1 teaspoon of Rosemary (diced into grains)
1 teaspoon Nutmeg (grated)
1/2 teaspoon of Grounded Black Pepper
1 teaspoon of Pimento Seeds
1½ tablespoon of Browning
Thyme (fresh pieces tie together the size of one finger) or 1 teaspoon
1 tablespoon White Vinegar
¼ cup Coconut Oil (or Olive oil)
3 cups of Water
Pressure cook for 25 – 30 minutes on low frame.
- Wash the broad beans and soak for 15 minutes or more. “This releases the gas from the beans.” After that pressure cooked the soaked beans with seven cups of waters. Gauge the stove on four. It will take 20 minutes to pressure cook. (Note: Start the timing when it starts to whistle.) Once it’s cooked to, remove the water, cover and put aside until you are ready for it.
- The seasonings must first be stripped, washed and diced, then put together in a bowl. (Keep the coconut oil and the browning separated.)
- Now put to heat a pressure-cooker pot, and add the oil. After two minutes with the stove gauged at eight add the ox-tail, along with the seasonings. Stir in the ingredients, now cover well and allow to simmer for four minutes.
- Next add the browning, stir in then cover properly for two minutes.
- After that, add three cups of boiled hot water in the pot. Followed by using the pressure-cooker lid; cover it correctly. Once it starts to whistle gauge the stove on low flame. (Note: Start the timing when it starts to whistle.) Allow to pressure for 15 minutes. If the oxtail is thick pressure for no more than 25 minutes.
- After that is finished pressuring. Remove the lid once it’s cooled.
- Then add the ketchup and the broad beans followed by putting the stove gauge on eight, allow to thicken for five minutes. Note: (drained the water from the canned beans before you add it). It’s finished. This recipe is servings for a small family.